Friday 6 August 2010

Separation is key to bonding

I'm writing this at the Unilag amphitheatre. There are so many kids
here lining up for the screening of candidates. They remind me of my
own recent past. It's not too fresh in my mind, but I remember the
simplicity of the journey from secondary school to university. None of
this madness, none of this crowded do-it-yourself show why your money
should be taken so you can 'say' you're in Unilag. I don't think
intellectual prowess is key here. Meritocracy is in submission, and
the hustlerr are in charge. M. Scott Peck said it is natural to
descend into chaos, it is supernatural to ascend into order. I think
he's right. People talk of the nigerian problem. It is a human
problem. Once recognised for what it is, things become easier to deal
with. N10bn to spend in one day? Better targetted at reviving dead
industries than at celebrating a journey through hardship when we've
not broken free of a consumer mentality.
I don't begrudge the government for their spending culture. They see
things differently from the rest of us. Very differently. That's why
I'm surrounded by kids desperate to get ahead in education to the
point of paying out of their pockets for a right long regarded as a
privilege.
This separation from government that the people endure makes most
sense when you think of government as the presiding authourity in
civil matters. To do this effectively, one must be unbiased by most
means...but not in every sense. It does no good to justice that you &
the judge share the same woman. He just might be the possessive type
:)
Let's just say that my thoughts are not neutral, but rather leaning to
the side of the right to a better life for all.
If given half of that money to refurbish the power sector, education,
health, things will look up pretty quickly & you won't have to look
for people to smile with you. You'll be keeping them back. But
governance isn't a popularity contest. It is something more scared. It
is a duty to God. I can only imagine what's going on in their heads
right now. And they don't take correction easily. But God can take
your prayers for them because they struggle with things we assume to
be the ingredients of an easy life. Power is burden to the wise.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: