Sunday 9 October 2011

Beyonce and Rihanna: Jay-Z and dowry?

I just read this on chicago reader. I am worried about what side of our culture gets outside. I am shaking my head and wondering what the next surprise will be.


Beyonce and Rihanna (a 2008 video directed by Afam Okereke): The low-budget Nigerian film industry, or "Nollywood," is booming, and many of the trailers are on YouTube. I love the way that some of these films weave together characters from popular American music culture and issues relevant to traditional African culture. This film imagines Beyonce as a modern woman in Nigeria who must deal with her parents' traditional ideas about marriage and courtship. In one scene, Beyonce's parents argue that Jay-Z should be a proper man and pay Beyonce's dowry for marriage.

No comments: