Thursday 22 April 2010

We live, we learn. We die, it's all over on this end.

We live, we learn. We die, it's all over on this end.
Da Grin died on thursday. I remember what I ate for breakfast. I
remember what was foremost on my mind when I woke up. I remember
answering the call I got at 7:30. I don't recall thinking about my
mortality. I remember seeing my friends, getting a call from an ex,
chatting online with 3 friends at the same time. But I don't remember
thinking what I've done with my life that will stand after my demise.
In secondary school, when I was learning probability (I still like
math...sorta), they measured probabilities in terms of fractions of
x/1. With impossibility at 0, half-chance at 0.5, and certainty at 1.
Impossibility had examples,like me drinking the entire water at the
beach. Half-chance was flipping a coin to see who would take off their
own shirt first (me or my girlfriend). Now certainty had only one
example: death. Certainty of certainties on this mortal plane. If you
are reading this, you are alive and you will die. When is not the
point of secondary school probability, if is the factor. What
'conditions' favor the event in mind...or work against it. Death as we
know it as men in the flesh is certain. There's no weaving it, no
dodging it, no inevitable postponing of it. And when you're dead, you
can't hold on to anything in this world. You met it here, you will
leave it behind.
Ironically, there was a rumor of a 'get-well' party for Da Grin that
same evening. Sadly, I'm certain they'll party on and weep when
they're sober in the morning. Human love is as fickle as a leaf in the
most violent monsoon storms. Don't be angry at them. They couldn't
have known. Sad. Very sad.
Now his producer can cash in on a shit-load of Da Grin's debut
album...which is also his only album so far.
When you read up to this point, I want you to realise something.
You've been brushing aside the thought that this might be nothing more
than another man's tragedy. You forget that death hasn't decided that
you will play your own part in you pre-dirge ceremony of dying...yet.
Please, sober up. Forgive people who have offended you, give yourself
to anyone who's in need of something that bears your unique quality by
association.
May he rest in peace, but do you sleep in peace? Do you wrestle with
empty doubts about you after-life? I do. I still do. I'm determined to
change. Not to be morbid, but more appreciative of what opportunities
to be more like Christ and touch people's lives await me.
What do you think you could change about yourself that will help deal
with the reality of your inevitable 'passing on'?

--
Sent from my mobile device

1 comment:

La Reine said...

Life is truly short. It often takes one ending to remind us of that fact.