Monday 14 June 2010

Playing in history

How many of us understand that history is hardly ever made
intentionally? When I watch series like Rome, where they humanise the
characters, I better appreciate my role in history. What I mean is,
the path a man/woman takes is ordered by the greater than all when so
many things are riding on their success or failure.
For example, what would the world have been like if Rome hadn't had
the wake-up calls from Atilla, Spartacus, Hannibal? None of these guys
succeeded in conquering Rome, but they're better remembered than the
barbarians who brought her down finally. I'm in this mood because I'm
in the mood. I have no better answer than that. It just might be a
sentence, a phrase or even a fledgling idea in a passing conversation
that might lead someone to commit to something too great for the mind
to understand in the immediate term.
On a final note, it is not cool to hope for the fall of another man.
But we all do it at some level or the other, for some reason or the
other. We forget that we could also hope to be better than the other
person. But, that takes more hard work.
Self-examination. And I'm first in line. :)

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: