Friday 25 June 2010

What draws us to mysteries?

The opposite of curiosity is negligence. Not an original idea of mine.
It was Michel de Montaigne.
Ignorance is a deadly disease. The prospects of ignorance lead to poor
decisions, avoidable troubles, losses, pain, fear, & a lot of things
comparable to death or degrees of it. I will give a few personal,
albeit murky, examples:
I didn't know that my way of thinking doesn't even occur to people who
don't share my point of view. The effort I put into appreciating
theirs wasn't worth reciprocation to them.
I was ignorant of people's vices. I don't term the more obvious like
smoking or drinking alcohol as seperate from the more covert vices
like mastrubation, or cocaine. A vice is a terrible device used by an
individual who willfully surrenders his life to anything that's
ungodly or not God. Workaholics are included in this. The painful
truth is still the truth. It is what lies ipso facto, that is to say,
the fruits or results of such vices that makes them obviously wrong or
evil.
If one is not curious about the things one engages in, then you can
say the person is negligent. Of course it can be extended to
interactions with other people, but it still boils down to negligence.
I've been negligent of many things, & it was borne of the choice of
not making it a priority to understand better where I was in life &
why I did what I did.
You have to ask questions of yourself. Many personal issues we have to
UNDERSTAND our way out of. Like irrational dependency on the opinions
of others. It's is good to get the opinions of others, but there are
those of us who literally freeze until someone else approves of their
moves or decisions.
I humbly submit this in the hope that someone will have a clearer
view, based on experience (1st or 2nd hand experiences count).
Being nosy is unhealthy curiousity. I don't like nosy people & I've
been most uncharitable towards them. I'm somewhat apologetic about
that, but not too. Like the chap who accosted me over a favorite
t-shirt of mine (it was old, faded. I wore it only at night on campus.
It said 'No more Mr. Nice guy, on your knees bitch'. You'd think he'd
take a hint). I looked him squarely in the face & said, " I like this
T-shirt. It's old, yes. But it has more character than some people I
know."
Poor dear, took him to 2 days to catch the bullet. I know because it
took him that long to start avoiding me. Hee hee hee! (wiping a tear
from my left eye)

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: