Tuesday 28 September 2010

I Kill Giants:a comic worth finding

Any genre of comic deals with fantasy, even when based on reality.
There's a jewish saying,'What is truer than truth? The story.'
'I Kill Giants' is brilliant in its story-telling, in its design, in
its overall approach to the theme.
My eyes burned through it with a hunger reminiscent of my secondary
school days. Then you had to read a comic, enjoy it, follow the story,
then return it within the hour. Speed reading wasn't a class, it was
the comic reader's lifestyle back then. It made studying a little
better, but I digress.
The protagonist is an avid Dungeons & Dragons enthusiast, an
opinionated, smart junior high school student who is ready to confront
anyone, anytime, anywhere. The model 'troubled student'. She's also a
she. Did I also mention that she kills giants.
Getting drawn into her personal world is a journey worth more than the
pages her story is told through. Every leaf is turned to pure gold.
Like any good warrior, she knows the history, the types & tendencies
of her enemies. Facing them makes the school bully less than small fry
in her eyes. A favorite quote of mine,"I'll do things to you that will
make God cry."
Her diminutive stature belies the giant within-pun intended ;)
I've intentionally left out her name. I've also intentionally left out
the plot. That's the wealth of promise the comic offers.
Read it, digest it & you'll discover what good things come with it.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: