Tuesday 4 May 2010

Entomology

Entomology

English, as a language, has enjoyed aberration more than the culture.
Ever since I was that little boy my mother shared an intellectual joke
with me about the truth of the cry, "Ape, obey!" that's used by Igbo
men when heavy lifting is required, I've been interrogating pidgin
english. It was a tool used by the british merchants to communicate
with the traders on the coast & in the hinterlands. When I watch
period films, I listen for the parents of common pidgin words. I give
credit to the mind behind the Krio dictionary. It shed a great light
on the matter for me.
Language being a carrier of culture, the pidgin culture has spread
through west africa. It's roots are more yoruba than any other
culture. (I'm not yoruba by the way. I think my lack of confident
command in speaking it has offered me a removed sense, or lack of
bias, that aids me in my role of observer).
For instance, sabi seems to be coined from Savvy (thank you, Disney,
Johnny Depp & captain Jack Sparrow). Comot from Come out. Throway from
throw away. siddon from sit down. purshue from pursue. I've had bit of
a problem with dash. (Context is every bit as important in use as the
word in question.). Wetin from What's it (maybe).
Though an important point to note is the awareness of the verb 'to
be'. In certain dialects of pidgin, it is intentionally not
conjugated. 'I be de see them.'. It's not a universal thing because it
is conjugated as 'de/dey'.
'I de/dey run.'
I like pidgin english. Especially that it takes solidly from the
original tongue its syncretic nature. It evolves & takes the tint of
the culture it is used in. Warri pidgin is the most entertaining of
the variations I've come across. There are new words springing up
everyday as well as new meanings. The most recent change in meaning
for me is the word, Maga. When I first came across it, it stood for
'fubar'(fucked up beyond all repair). It could be associated with
people or with things concrete or not. Now, it's used for the one with
the upper hand in criminal activity or simply someone who enjoys
largesse.
As we grow older, so does the language. I speak the Queen's cousin's
english. It's an uneven anglo-american mix. So sometimes I catch
myself favoring an american pronounciation in the middle of an english
sentence in flow. I giggle privately, but hey, it's my habit. I prefer
it to outright shelling. Any day of the year, any minute of the hour.
It interferes with my casual use of pidgin, unless I'm busting a
pidgin english script, then the Warri-wannabe rises to the occasion.
If you have a bad day, or someone pissed you off... I suggest speaking
to yourself about it...in pidgin english. I promise you will laugh at
yourself. You could frighten the offending entity by speaking to
yourself aloud in pidgin english in front of them. Chances are they (&
possibly yourself) won't be able pick anything you say comfortably.
But if you spit their name(s) out, the look of panic is worth the
brief display of insanity. Really. Try it.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: