Saturday 15 May 2010

Suzie- My Body

Typical nigerian spirit- Bold, imaginative, not necessarily original
(we 'are' in the Western Empires' 2nd millenia), scary, strong &
sexy...these adjectives come to mind when you see the video.
I watched it this evening. I got the impression that her performance
frightened her. Like a prophet suddenly burdened with the weight of
visionary expression, she did it without social consequences in mind.
It would be a pity if her video is put down by limited minds. Do not
get me wrong, it is a very seductive work. I didn't get aroused, but
it did remind me of women in my life who put aside the veil of
propriety to tell me that they wanted to be loved with strength,
passion & relentless acceptance of all that they were.
I cut a salute to Clarence Peters. I met him in passing within the
past year. His emphasis on restrained choreography, body art, nudity
(that was neither exploitative nor crude) & an approach that pointed
out that less is more.
I took to the video with intuition.
I must thank Data for sharing it with me. (Yes, it is a nigerian name.
No it is not a general name. Africa is vast. Nigeria, even more so.
Ask somebody)
Coming back to the point of this blog, I think her video is worth a
look, the song reminds me of mature themes from artistes like Floetry,
theme is believably vulnerable, & the artiste is simply amazing to
watch. I don't rate music videos because I'm wary of the range of my
competence. It did have the familiar ring of D'angelo's song 'no
title'. His chorus 'How does it feel?' reminded me of my own romantic
moments in vulnerability.
Splendid delivery, international quality & has the powerful, yet sad
promise of another artiste 'without honour in her country.'
Suzie, even if they put you down, or bad mouth you or ban your video,
I would gladly conceive my children to your song. Gladly. The
challenge is to now find someone who feels the song enough to have my
babies. :)

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: